Hello ARL Captains and Players:
In light of the recommended guidelines from the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) with respect to COVID-19 (coronavirus), the ARL is considering every safeguard to ensure the safety of the participants, officials, volunteers and fans who take part in our great game. As a result, for the ARL playoffs and Championship games, we are asking teams to replace the traditional postgame handshake with a fist pump (gloves on).
Despite reports of the risk being low for contracting COVID-19 to the general public in Canada, we are doing our due diligence in communicating the following information/recommendations from the Public Health Agency of Canada:
- Proper hygiene can help reduce the risk of infection or spreading infection to others:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom and when preparing food
- use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- When coughing or sneezing:
- cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand
- dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible in a lined waste basket and wash your hands afterwards
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Clean the following high-touch surfaces frequently with regular household cleaners or diluted bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water):
- Door handles
As a league we should all be diligent in working together to get through this unpredictable and challenging period.
We will advise of any changes to this procedure.
The ARL Committee