Hello ARL Players,
We are almost half way through the season and we need to get a message through to ARL players across all five divisions.
In the past two weeks we have had seven players suspended for a total of nine games.
As a Committee we need to remind the players of a few very important things:
- This is a co-ed social hockey league.
- Although it is nice to win once in a while it is not win at all costs.
- It is not an effort to win by completely embarrassing less experienced players.
- There is no reason to pursue another player and body check them for some perceived slight.
- When the whistle blows to end the play it is not time to taunt your opponent and try to engage them in an altercation.
- If you are assessed a penalty by our referees it is not an open invitation to abuse them for having the gall to enforce the rules.
- Please stay out of the goaltenders crease. Please do not cut to the net and jeopardize the safety of the goaltender.
We have had 5 goalies injured this season. Two have been forced to leave for the season. Two have suffered concussions/whiplash from contact. This should not happen.
- Basically, please respect your opponent. They are good people. When in doubt refer back to point #1.
- Let’s have fun out there. The ARL used to be FUN guaranteed. We are getting a strong sense that many people are not having as much fun as they used to. This is disturbing.
- We will leave it up to you to decide. FUN or a LEAGUE WIDE CRACKDOWN on all offending players. The crackdown has begun. Fun is and always has been the goal.
Let’s all work together and get things back on track right away.
The ARL Committee and Referees